Wednesday 5 October 2011

A long walk...

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

In 2002 I moved from Bracknell, in the English home counties, to mid-Devon. In many ways - health, pace and quality of life- this move was for the better.

However, in the past day, I've been reminded of one significant downside of this move. Not for the first time, it has become obvious that Devon is so bloody far away from anywhere!

Today, I'm embarking on the longest journey of my life - to see a small part of Australia and to meet one of my very good friends. Yet before this journey can even start, I had a four qqand a half hour coach journey to Heathrow airport, before even starting the flight to Hong Kong. This is after the following attempts at moderating journeys over the last few years

A set of car keys lost by the hotel entrusted with the car, delaying the journey home by 90 minutes after a 8 hour flight.

A journey from hell in a blizzard following a return home from the Caribbean, that lasted almost as long as the flight.

Journeys tomand from London to meet up with other friends which does detract from those meetings.

The solution to all this? Well ideally much better rural travel options for one. But to be honest I will grin and bear it, until the next time of course...

In a few more hours I'll be in Hong Kong for the first time, before flying on to Melbourne to start our Australia visit. I'm anticipating an hectic stopover for a couple of days.

In the meantime, here's the plane I am on as I write this :)