Friday 16 January 2009

Seven Photographs That Changed Fashion

The other evening, while multiplexing through the channels between programmes, I discovered one of those hidden gems (at least to me) that are tucked away on BBC4.

I do think that this sort of format could be easly adapted to other genres.

The fashion photographer Rankin was recreating what, in his opinion, were definitive fashion photographs from each decade since the 30's.  Now, I had always understood Rankin to be a punk-like, gruff personality but he came over as quite eloquent, not to say passionate, about the task in hand.

Highlights included
  • recreating a David Bailey image with DB in attendance and heckling - an example being "I was better looking than you are, you need makeup, Rankin"
  • Rankin and his assistants struggling to remember what to do with "film" - I was convinced that a camera was going to be dropped at one stage!
  • nude photography on the backstreets of Paris - a la Helmut Newton..... 

oh.... and something for the ladies....





now, what was that about a spare tyre???

A link to the BBC page about the programme.... this may only work in the UK

No comments: